Art is the Heart of my Soul's Desire

These pages are about my memories from my past as well as stories of my present journey as I travel the path of a professional fine artist.


The Problem of Describing Color

heARTandSOUL, Carole Gray-Weihman

                 "If I said---remembering in summer,
                 The cardinal's sudden smudge of red
                 In the bare gray winter woods---

                 If I said, red ribbon on the cocked
                    straw hat
                 Of the girl with pooched-out lips
                 Dangling a wiry lapdog
                 In the painting by Renoir---

                 If I said fire, if I said blood welling
                    from a cut---

                 Or flecks of poppy in the tar-grass
                    scented summer air
                 On a wind-struck hillside outside
                     Fano---

                 If I said, her one red earring tugging
                    at her silky lobe,

                 If she tells fortunes with a deck of
                    fallen leaves
                 Until it comes out right---

                 Rouged nipple, mouth---

                 (How could you not love a woman
                 Who cheats at the Tarot?)

                 Red, I said. Sudden, red."

                    -Robert Hass
                           From Time and Materials:
                           Poems 1997-2005

No comments: